Thursday, October 13, 2016

These Cookbooks Should Be in Your Kitchen! My Top 3 Favs

I love cookbooks. I sit in bed at night and read 'em like they're novels. I actually rehearse in my head making some of the recipes. Wait...does that make me weird?

There are a few criteria cookbooks need to meet for me. They need to be colorful and show pictures. The recipes need to be fun, easy, and healthy, or easily "cleaned up". There also needs to be some kind of story woven into the recipes. I want to hear the writer's story...their voice. And the last thing, I don't want some long list of crazy ass ingredients I need to buy. Simple, colorful, fun, and healthyish. That's it!

Here are my 3 current favorites.

The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Dinnertime by Ree Drummond
I love anything Ree Drummond does. Her show, her books, her line of kitchen tools, serve ware and textiles at Wal-Mart, everything! Like her other cookbooks, this one gives us a view of her life on her family's cattle ranch, and an anecdote about each recipe. Step by step pictures show you how to do what the recipe instructs, and they totally meet my colorful requirement!

The book is broken up by type, salads, soups, comfort foods, etc, and my favorite; breakfast! I love breakfast for dinner! The recipes are all family friendly, I made the black bean burgers, and even my meat loving Mr. liked them.

Put this one on your wishlist. But don't get it on kindle. You need the actual book in your hands. That's part of the fun!

The Seasoned Life by Ayesha Curry
I was recently reading an article about the top food magazines, and the writer made the assertion that the cookbook genre was dead. Not if Ayesha Curry keeps writing them! Her recipes are creative, elegant, and easy, and all come with a back story. Parents  with young children will appreciate being able to get a delicious meal on the table in less time, and kids will enjoy helping out with recipes geared towards cooking with children. There are healthy recipes, indulgent ones, and some fall in between.

 I am absolutely terrible at making biscuits, yet succeeded with her cast iron skillet biscuits. I made egg cups for my Mr. to bring to work, and his co-workers were jealous. My son now eats jam and bread that I made from scratch from this book.

This one has actually changed the way I think about cooking. I love this book and Ayesha is an awesome role model for home cooks. You need this book. Go get it!

Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson
Once upon a time I was a strict vegetarian. I was never able to go completely vegan, but this book has a ton of easy, tasty, healthy recipes even meat eaters will love. There is a Risotto with Peas and Scallions recipe that I have made countless times, vegan brownies that my uncle who swears if it doesn't have real butter it ain't any good liked, and a whole chapter on vegan pizzas. That one came in handy since pizza was one of my obstacles to veganism.

Even if you eat meat, this one is worth picking up. Whether you have "meatless Mondays", or have to go meatless for religious observations, or just want to incorporate some plant based meals into your regular rotation, you'll have a lot to work with here.

What's your favorite cookbook? Let me know! I always like trying out are recipes! If you are looking for the perfect wine to pair with what you're cooking tonight, check me out over at Wine Decadence. Looking forward to hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment