Thursday, October 6, 2016

Rooney's Oceanfront Dining: A Review

Restaurants at the Jersey Shore are a dime a dozen. They all feature a "fresh catch of the day" and try to capture the essence of the shore. In trying so hard, most of them fail.

I had the opportunity to dine at Rooney's Oceanfront Restaurant recently and was so pleased with my experience I couldn't help but write a review. I've driven past this restaurant for years, and to be honest, when it was suggested that we go there for lunch I thought, Well...ok. I walked out that day with a much more enthusiastic impression!


Rooney's opened 20 years ago, and today is led by Chef Thomas Schoborg. Their goal is to provide and innovative menu, and seasonal dishes, and they succeed. The menu has a lot of depth in terms of offerings, but is so clearly organized with dishes clearly explained that it's not hard to make a decision. Well.. actually everything sounds so good that it isn't easy to make a decision either. I chose the fish tacos, grilled mani mani with chipotle mayo, Baja slaw, black beans, tortilla chips. Now I always see fish tacos on menus when I go out, and, not being a big seafood eater, always skip them. I decided to give it a try and it was delicious. The fish had a pleasant flavor, wasn't too "fishy" and blended well with the chipotle mayo. 

Dining out with children? Now here's one of my favorite things about Rooney's. If you want a fancier dining experience, but still a laid-back, family friendly environment, this is your place. I mean, just because you have kids doesn't mean you should be stuck at Applebee's for the next decade, right? The layout of the dining room is open and airy, and that includes the space between tables. We fit comfortably with a high chair, and when my little guy suddenly decided to throw his Thomas train we had enough space between tables that no one got hit.


If you live near Long Branch, NJ, go here. If you are traveling to the area, go here. Heck, make it a point to travel to the area just to go here. You'll enjoy the food, the environment, and of course, this view.


No comments:

Post a Comment